Thursday, November 18, 2010

And to think I wanted to be one.

A dentist.  Yep, I know it might seem weird if you know me that I wanted to be a dentist.  I believe it started when I was a young'un and the thought of someone helping you keep your smile looking great was cool to me!  I had the occassional cavity here and there growing up as a kid but it never scared me to visit that office.  I even did a report on a dentist from my church for school and became more "glamoured" (I miss TB) by the profession.  It wasn't until I realized I had to take Biology in college and all the other sciences that would follow, that I changed from Pre-Dent to Political Science (I know BIG difference).  Anyway, I say all that to say; I went to the dentist this morning for what I never thought in my life I would have to go through . . . a ROOT CANAL! Yeah, yeah, go ahead and make fun of my rotten, dirty mouth . . . I try my best to brush, floss and rinse with mouthwash on a regular basis but at times I fall short.  Not to mention the 2-3 years that either I didn't have dental insurance or couldn't afford the co-pay to go . . . so there goes preventive maintenance.  But I can only blame myself for what I have to go through over the next few months to get my teeth healthy again.  I feel as if I have to keep all my teeth and keep them healthy, not just for my girls but cause one of the first things I notice on  a person is their smile- which normally includes their teeth.  Even if you don't show your teeth when you smile, if your teeth are jacked up or missing, it shows in your smile.  Trust me . . . I'm a smile/teeth watcher.  So if I'M looking at those things, I feel like everyone else is!!  Not to mention I'm already self conscious about certain things with my appearance, I don't need anything else to worry about.  Now the dentist I visited today was recommended by an associate (I say that because we are acquainted by association of another high school/college buddy of mine).  I will not go in to details about the procedure, or complain about the cost that I have to pay OOP (out-of-pocket), let's just say they made the experience as pleasant as it could be given the circumstances.  So here's the kicker . . . he's black (i don't like to use the term African-American because that could also be a white person- you know it's not only black folk in Africa) and his staff is all white women (save for a single black female that I noticed chilling in the back).  Of course, it's 20TN as Jeezy said our President is black, and it's not uncommon for a situation like this to exist. Did I mention, his office is in a really nice, rural predominately caucasian area?  Most of his patients are caucasian but he takes me to his office to watch youtube videos featuring this rapper from Chi-Town!!  I love it!!  He keeps it 100% with all his patients and finds ways to connect with them on any level, he and his staff have great people skills.  You may be wondering, what does all this have to do with the price of tea in China?  I will tell you. . . I look at him and his practice and start thinking . . .  "damn, that could've been me."

-2andababy

No comments:

Post a Comment